St Anne’s Church:
The church was built by the Crusaders between 1131 and 1138. It was erected over the site of a grotto believed by the Crusaders to be the birthplace of the Virgin Mary, mother of Jesus. It is dedicated to Anna and Joachim, the parents of Saint Mary, who according to tradition lived here. After Saladin’s conquest of Jerusalem in 1187, the church was converted into an Islamic seminary. Since 1856 St. Anne’s belongs to the French government and is administrated by the White Fathers, an order of the Catholic Church.