eye on israel

Sites in Jerusalem

Map of Jerusalem

The Old City and surrounding area

Sites

The Burnt House

The house of Kathros
The Burnt House consists of the remains of a private home, which stood in what was known during the days of the Second Temple period as the Upper City of Jerusalem.
The house of Kathros
The coins discovered in the house were dated to period of the Great Rebellion against Rome between 66 - 70 CE. A great variety of household objects were also discovered, including, a Roman iron spear and stone weights.
The house of Kathros
The name”Kathros” is written on one of the stone weights in Aramaic, possibly indicating the name of the owners of the home as the priestly family Kathros. Most poignant of the finds are the bones of a young woman's forearm and hand stretched out next to a Roman spear.

Wohl Archaeological Museum

The Herodian Quarter
The museum contains archeological remains of a residential quarter, preserved from Herodian times. The area of the present-day Jewish quarter was part of the wealthy “Upper City” of Jerusalem, a Jewish neighborhood overlooking the Temple from the days of the Second Temple period.
The Herodian Quarter
The findings reveal the lavish lifestyle of the neighborhood's residents including ritual baths, art works, frescos and stuccos.

Sephardic Synagogues

The Four Sephardic Synagogues
A complex of four adjoining synagogues built in different periods of time: Yochanan ben Zakai Synagogue, The Istanbuli Synagogue, Eliyahu Ha'navi Synagogue, and The Emtsai Synagogue. The synagogues are located below street level, as Muslim authorities didn’t
The Four Sephardic Synagogues
permit Jewish houses of worship to be higher than their own. After the fall of the Jewish Quarter during the 1948 Arab-Israeli War the synagogues were burnt and turned into horse stables. After the Six Day War the synagogues were restored.

Al-Aqsa Mosque

Al Haram Al Sharif
Muslim tradition states that Muhammad ascended to heaven from this site in 621. It is identified with the Koranic expression "the farthest mosque" mentioned in the Koran Sura 17 which relates to Mohammed's Night Journey.
Al Haram Al Sharif
The first temporary structure was built in 693 by the Caliph Abd el-Malik who constructed the Dome of the Rock. The first permanent structure was built by his son, Caliph Al-Walid, and was completed in 705.

St James’s Cathedral

Armenian church
The church of St. James is a beautiful building and the religious center of Jerusalem’s Armenian community. The name St. James is the English name for the disciple Jacob who, in Christian tradition was martyred by Herod Antipas in 44.
Armenian church
The church was originally built in the 11th and 12th centuries over the reputed tomb of St James. The Armenians were the first nation to accept Christianity after King Tiridates III declared Christianity the state religion in 301.The Armenians, who were persecuted by
Armenian church
the Persians, Arabs and Turks have had continuous representation in the city since the 5th century.

Monastery of the Flagellation

Via Dolorosa Station 2
The Franciscan Chapel of the Condemnation to the left which commemorates the condemnation of Jesus, and the Chapel of the Flagellation to the right, where Jesus is said to have been flogged (John 19:16) are both within a courtyard of the Franciscans Monastery of the Flagellation.
Via Dolorosa Station 2
The Monastery buildings house the Stadium Biblicum Franciscanum, The Faculty of Biblical Sciences and Archaeology of the Pontificia Universitas Antonianum in Rome.

Sisters of Zion Convent

Ecce Homo Arch
The convent was built in 1860s, by Marie-Alphonse Ratisbonne a French Jew who converted to Catholicism. The convent contains the remains of the Struthion Pool, an ancient reservoir which collected rainwater, a 2nd century AD Roman pavement and part of the
Ecce Homo Arch
Ecce Homo Arch built by the Romans in 70 AD and reconstructed in 135 AD. According to the Christian tradition it is on this pavement that Pontius Pilate presented Jesus to the crowds and uttered the words “Ecce homo” (behold the man).

Russian Church of the Ascension

Russian Orthodox
This is a Russian Orthodox site that commemorates the Ascension of Jesus into Heaven. The church and the bell tower 64 meters in height were built between 1870 and 1887.

Augusta Victoria Hospital

A Lutheran hospital
Augusta Victoria Hospital was named after Augusta Victoria, the wife of the German Kaiser Wilhelm II who laid the foundation stone during his visit in 1898 CE. Today it is a Lutheran hospital.

The Pillar of Absalom

The Tomb of Absalom
A monumental tomb dating to the first century B.C. Folklore attributes this tomb to King David’s rebellious son, Absalom (Samuel 2, 18:18).

The prophet Zechariah’s Tomb

Zechariah’s Tomb
A Jewish tradition links this tomb to the prophet Zechariah, “Zechariah, son of Berechiah son of Iddo…” (Zech 1:1). The prophet Zechariah was active in Jerusalem towards the end of the 6th century B.C after the return of the Jews from the Babylonian Exile. According to archaeologists the tomb is dated to the 1st century C.E.

The Tomb of Benei Hezir

The priestly family Benei Hezir
A complex of tombs dated to the second century B.C. According to the Hebrew inscription on the monument it was the burial site of the priestly family Benei Hezir. Christian tradition associates the site with St. James, who was stoned to death for his faith in the Kidron Valley.